Monday, May 24, 2010

How to Stop Tantrums

In contemplating how to stop tantrums, I was struck with a thought. Toddlers can be so much fun. Ironically, it is their fierce independent streak, the one that leads to all those tantrums, that makes makes for great comedy. I remember watching my little guy refuse help for something that I knew he could not do. He wanted to do it by himself. So I let him. He tried, tried some more, and then tried even more. By this time it was obvious even to him that he could not do it, but he was still not going to ask for help. In the end, never one to quit, he decided to change what he was trying to accomplish and was able to accomplish his new goal. But I still love to think back to his tenacity and perseverance in his toddler years.

I think it is so important for parents to enjoy children at every stage. Sure, some stages are more fun than others, but find the moments of fun and humor in the less fun stage. It is good for your long-term relationship with your little one, but it is also great therapy to be able to laugh. Because we focused much more on the funny things that our kids did, now our memories are more full of the fun that we had at each stage rather than the difficulties. I don't know about you, but I am glad that I remember the funny things rather than the tantrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment